Freedom Folks

Friday, January 27, 2006

Almost Famous

I recently left a comment on this post over at the Beyond Borders blog.

Surfing back I found my comment had become an article.

Here's my comment...

On what do you base your comment sir?

As a cook and a chef of thirty years I assure you that I have lived cheek and jowl with illegal immigration and yes, a lot of illegal Mexican immigrants wish this country ill. They hold this country in contempt (and rightly so) for what they perceive as its inability to enforce its laws. This is reporting from the front line. I see this stuff every day. Am I saying all, no. However it’s a whole bunch more than I’m comfortable with.

So I reiterate my question. On what do you base your statement that these folks don’t want to hurt this country?

Conor Friedersdorf's response...

An estimated 11 million illegal immigrants are living within the United States. It is safe to assume that their motive for seeking work, health care, schooling for their children, etc., isn’t to hurt our country. It is also safe to assume that if a majority of those 11 million sought to hurt America they would’ve done so by now — what do you think they are waiting for? Or if you think this “hurt” has already been delivered, please name those acts attributable to malice that we’ve suffered on such a large scale.

Now I was under the impression that the fella writing this was a journalist. Had I known he was a comedian, well...I certainly would have taken a different tack.

Allow me to answer his question.

Here

Here

Here

Here

Here

Here

If you recall I asked Mr. Friedersdorf a question in my post, he never answered that question. I asked him what personal experience he's had with illegal immigration. he replied: you're wrong.

Okay, I can handle being wrong, if that bizarre turn of events were to occur, however, I don't think I am. Something I've noticed among the smart set is they think they know what's going on at street level, when sadly, they don't. Mr. Friedersdorf, one might assume, thinks he's illin' with the homies when he uses the word 'pinche' with the busboy at the local patisserie.

Well, sir, there are a lot of ways to express contempt. Armed revolution or mass uprisings aren't the only options. Ponder this as you sip your next Grande Frappucino thinking large thoughts.

I don't think they're waiting for 'anything'. I think 'it' is happening right in front of your Soy Mocha Latte sippin' latte self and you're too busy patting yourself on your North Face clad back for being a clever boy to see it.

So as you did me, allow me to return the favor. I won't answer your question bright boy. Though being an 'alleged' journalist I find it fascinating how quickly you go into 'ignore' mode when someone challenges your hegemony.

But that's this dumb ole' chef.

What say you?

As seen @
the conservative cat Adam's blog Bloggin' outloud Right wing nation TMH's bacon bits third world county stray dog Imaginekitty MacBros Place Don Surber NIF MacStansbury Jo's cafe basil's blog Bright & early