Freedom Folks

Thursday, March 02, 2006

Our Future?


I'm sure we've all heard of Mr. Bennish, the Colorado teacher caught on tape comparing the president to Hitler.

While surfing around this is what caught my eye.

Hundreds of students walked out of Overland High School this morning in protest after a controversy involving a geography teacher and his statements about President Bush.

Many of the students supported the teacher, Jay Bennish, who was placed on paid leave pending an investigation into his comments by the Cherry Creek School District.

"Freedom of speech — Let him teach," students chanted after they streamed out of the school, located at 12400 E. Jewell Ave., and crossed a pedestrian bridge to a park.

Okay, I realize that most of these kids were probably just looking for an excuse to scream and holler and get out of school, but someone needs to tell them this is not in any way shape or form a free speech issue.

The issue at question is one of professionalism. It was wildly unprofessional for an education professional to rant at his class, this had nothing whatsoever to do with education and everything to do with Mr. Bennish's ego. I think no matter what side of the aisle you find yourself we can all agree that a classroom should be for teaching not indoctrination.

I think this is becoming an epidemic and I wonder if it's possible to halt the downward trajectory of the modern educators. Being a writer I have met a number of teachers at writing classes and workshops I've attended and to a man or woman they were far, far left. Now on one hand I do not care what their personal politics may be, none of my business, until they make it a issue by promoting their opinions in the classroom.

Just before the last presidential elections I had some debates with several of the writer/teachers I know and to put it mildly they were foaming at the mouth over the prospect of Bush being reelected. It made me wonder if they were capable of remaining neutral in their classrooms. I tend to doubt it.

I spent the day remembering those teachers I encountered in my fitful school career. You know I'm not sure I could tell you how one of those teachers would vote. To me that is a high compliment, no matter what they believed in the real world, in our classrooms they were as neutral as they could be for their students. To create an atmosphere where open debate was welcomed and encouraged.

To be fair to Mr. Bennish he was pretty open to questions, but I think any fair minded person would recognize that the passion with which he preached to his classroom was completely inappropriate in this situation.

Here's another phrase chanted by the students...

"Teach, don't preach," they chanted.

I realize how much time Halo 42 requires to master guys, but the only person I heard preaching was Mr. Bennish.

H/T Michelle Malkin

As seen @
The conservative cat Don Surber is it just me? NIF Cao's blog right wing nation Bloggin' outloud The liberal wrong wing Stuck On stupid Adam's blog TMH's bacon bits pirate's cove
stray dog macbros jo's cafe basil's blog