Freedom Folks

Sunday, October 02, 2005

Ultimate warrior?

NOLA police chief Eddie Compass resigned last Tuesday. I'm sure the scandal plagued NOLA police department will be wracked with tears, see here. here. and here.

However, I have a message for Mr. Compass. Real warriors don't talk like this --

"I'm the ultimate warrior! I'll be the last one to leave the battlefield!"

Mr. Compass was reported to have uttered these reprehensible words as he strutted around New Orleans after Katrina hit. After a sizable number of cops bailed out of thier sworn responsibilties. After He and Mayor Nagin embarassed themselves repeatedly on national television.

Mr. Compass, I have not myself served as a police officer but, I have been honored to know a lot of cops very well. I cannot imagine one of these quiet heroes parading around in this fashion. I also cannot imagine any of them being derilect in thier duties. I don't mean to deify these guys, thier human after all and I've known dirty cops as well, but even they weren't cowards.

Because, Mr. Compass, a true warrior doesn't need to strut around and tell everybody he's a warrior. Indeed, he or she is often to busy being a hero to want to waste time on that kind of behaviour.

Real warriors are often quietly going about their sworn business NOT looting, NOT deserting, NOT lying on national television in a lame attempt to CYA!

Good riddance to bad news I say, what say you?