Freedom Folks

Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Giving Thanks

I am not a sentimental person. I'm unsure if it's a fault or not but, there you have it.

I always feel a little awkward around the holidays, never really felt like I got the hang of them all that well. I suppose part of it goes back to my childhood. My parents divorced when I was young and that in some ways set a trajectory for my life.

After the divorce my definition of family changed, I no longer assumed that someone with a blood tie would be there to help me or guide me. At about the same time I got my first non-summer time job in a restaurant which put a little topspin on that trajectory I was talking about a moment ago.

As I cut ties to my natural family I found families all around me. I learned that a family can be whatever we want it to be, with anybody we choose and who chooses us right back.

I learned that I was part of an enormous family called the United States of America.

As we celebrate today on this holy day. A day consecrated to god (shhh, don't tell the ACLU) let us remember the people who surround us each day. Those who impact us in ways we may not even notice.

First, let us pay homage to our brave men and women serving at home and abroad. Those who have sacrificed their own freedom that we might live free.

Let us remember those who serve us in our darkest hours. Cops, Firemen, and EMT's are often overlooked as they protect us each and every day. Often seeing us at our worst.

Let us remember our politicians. Put aside your cynicism for a moment and lift them up in prayer that they might have wisdom to see us through this perilous time.

Let us remember and forgive those we work with for all the little slights that build up throughout the year.

And finally, let us rejoice in our families whether kin or no. Let's make sure to let those closest know we love them.

As we gather and bow our heads in thanks giving, let us truly, truly give thanks and not hold back.

Happy Thanksgiving (shhh, don't tell the ACLU)

As seen @
The Political Teen
Cao's Blog
California Conservative
Stuck On Stupid
Stop The ACLU
NIF
Choose Life
Is It Just Me?
basil's blog
Right Wing Nation
2 Babes & a Brain
Otimaster
Jo's Cafe
TMH's Bacon Bits
Robinik
Don Surber