Freedom Folks

Thursday, February 02, 2006

Three Inmates Wounded in Chicago Jail

Three men being held in Cook County Jail were shot Wednesday night in a quarrel in a cell they shared in the maximum-security wing.

Guards recovered a .38-caliber revolver from the cell, said Bill Cunningham, a spokesman for the Cook County sheriff's police. Cunningham said police did not know how the gun got into the jail or what touched off the shooting.
Say WHAT? I don't really give a shit what touched off the shooting...but I'm VERY concerned about the fact that an inmate managed to get a gun into a freakin' jail cell, and the cops have no idea how he did it.

According to the local news I saw this morning (still no TV, folks -- I was on the treadmill at the Y), the police don't even know who did it yet. They are getting conflicting stories from the three inmates who were taken to the hospital after being shot. What's this? Conflicting stories from inmates? Get OUT!

Here's the biggest and saddest irony: Chicago is one of those cities that tells me I'm not permitted to store a handgun in my home to defend myself. But I'm supposed to feel safe and protected when the cops can't even stop an inmate from sneaking one into a maximum security jail cell???

It's a #$&@! joke -- and I ain't laughin'.