Freedom Folks

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

We Are Meanies!

Or so I'm told in this article written by an anchor baby who insists he's no anchor baby.
SAN JOSE, Calif.--America has hit rock bottom in the immigration debate. Not satisfied with "cracking down" on people who enter this country without authorization, some in Congress now want to take away the right to citizenship of American-born children of undocumented immigrants.

As the son of an undocumented immigrant, and as an American citizen by birth, I know the power that citizenship gives me. I also know what taking it away would mean to a generation of children of immigrants.

The Citizenship Reform Act, currently in subcommittee in the House, is un-American. It goes against the 14th Amendment, which says, "All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States." This provision was designed to protect freed slaves. Now it feels like undocumented immigrants are America's new slave class. This country depends on our labor but does not want to afford us the protections of law.

The bill is based on the belief that undocumented immigrants came here with an evil plan to have babies, so those babies can sponsor their parents for citizenship once they become 21. This might sound like an irrational plan, but enough people believe in it that they've even given children born here to undocumented parents a name -- "anchor babies."
That sounds irrational precisely to one group, the illegal aliens who are hoping against hope that we don't wise up and kick their sorry asses out of here.

Let's tune back in to the whining shall we? shhh...
I didn't realize I had a different status from my mother until I was a teenager. We were coming back from a visit to Mexico. My mom's visa had expired just weeks earlier. When we were going through customs, an immigration official told my mother she could not come in because she was a "foreigner." My mom had to stay in Mexico for a year. I had to live with my aunt and uncle during that time. Not having papers can rip a family apart.
No, asshat, not being legal can rip a family apart. Let's follow this specious logic through to it's illogical end, shall we?

Since he was inconvenienced by the fact his mother was illegal he would like to remove the entire idea of being illegal. Hence every person on the planet would be an American citizen. This wank avers he's an American in the title of his piece, yeah, I don't think so!
I can imagine how my life would be if I were not a citizen. I would be like my undocumented family members and friends -- unable to get a good job, a driver's license or financial aid for college. For sure I would not be able to express myself as I would like. When you are a citizen and you don't agree with the system, you are a "liberal." When you're undocumented and you don't agree, you are a "terrorist."
You may or may not be a terrorist in that situation, but thank you for making the point so admirably. The one thing we could say for sure is that we wouldn't know anything about you, and you shouldn't be in this country.
The Citizenship Reform Act makes me think of those bad horror movies from the 1950s, except instead of evil space aliens it features evil immigrant aliens. The fear that drives it is ironic. This country -- now supposedly protecting its people from immigrants -- was built by, and is still held up by, immigrants.
This really is our specialty around this here joint. There's a missing word here, any guess what it might be? I know you can do it!

ILLEGAL!!!

Whenever, and I do mean, whenever someone neglects that word I know beyond the shadow of a doubt that even they don't believe the bullshit their trying to pump out.

His mom sounds like a lovely lady, she really does, and I hope she's able to achieve American citizenship, but something struck me as I read this article.

On the one hand our author freely acknowledges the precious value of American citizenship, and boy oh boy do we agree on that. But he then immediately turns it around and debases the very same citizenship by suggesting that we MUST legalize all the very nice people who came here illegally. Bit of a contradiction that, eh?

Nice try Mr. Asshat but I find myself forced to call bullshit on you and your amazingly specious reasoning. Of course people will be hurt when they're not citizens, and no I don't relish that, but at the same time I'm enough of a realist to acknowledge that we cannot allow all of Mexico to move North, we just can't. And we just shouldn't, so sorry Mr. Asshat we're gonna have to close the border, and hopefully slow immigration waaayyyy down for a while so we can get a handle on our society and borders.

Of course, if you were actually an American you'd understand that.

H/T Unabashedly Unhyphenated (who has an excellent piece on this, as usual! Stop writing so damn good you make the rest of us look bad)

Technorati Tags: , , , , , , ,

Technorati Tags: , , , , , , ,