Freedom Folks

Friday, February 10, 2006

We Hate Brown People...

Well, that's what we've been accused of anyway. So I thought this story was right on time...

Hundreds rally at Philly ILIR meet
PHILADELPHIA --- The crisis facing undocumented Irish immigrants in Philadelphia was placed front and center on an unseasonably balmy evening last week when the Irish Lobby for Immigration Reform road show stopped over at a leading city hotel.

Between three and four hundred people gathered at the Hyatt Regency on Philadelphia's waterfront on Friday, Feb. 3 -- this despite rumors of an impending immigration raid, which organizers believe may have kept some away.

As with previous ILIR meetings, much emphasis was placed on the need to press area politicians on the need for immigration law broad enough to include the tens of thousands of undocumented Irish across the U.S. *snip*

"We're here with a message of hope. This is the first time in 15 years that immigration reform is being discussed in Congress. We have friends in high places; we have friends in Congress. Together we can change the laws." *snip*

He talked about the contributions of the Irish to the economic and social fabric of the United States, adding that despite this, "no community is as marginalized as much as the undocumented Irish in the United States. This is why everyone should be behind this bill." *snip*

Conaghan spoke about the difficulties the campaign was up against in the current political climate with the word "immigrant" being tossed around with the word "terrorist." *snip*

Samantha, an undocumented immigrant from New York, put a human face on the debate.

She began her remarks with, "I have a degree in psychology and I work as a bartender. I have the same hopes and dreams as Irish immigrants before me."

Her emotional delivery rocked the house. She was followed by an unidentified male undocumented immigrant who threw down the gauntlet with "Philadelphia, it's time to stand up and be counted."
Now to state the obvious. I am against illegal immigration. There are many folks who have accused us of being racist. Nope, not true, and let me display my bona fides. If you follow the link to the story you will see a sea of white faces, some of whom are here illegally. I feel no differently toward them than I do a Hipsanic individual who is here illegally. I want them returned to their country of origin, I don't care about the color of their skin.

I always feel compassion toward those who have come here looking for a better life, however, I'm not sympathetic to anyone entering this country illegally, to me that's not a joke.

I want legal immigration in an orderly controlled fashion, Oh, and what I'd really like is for the pro-illegal folk to stop lying their asses off...
Conaghan spoke about the difficulties the campaign was up against in the current political climate with the word "immigrant" being tossed around with the word "terrorist."
H/T Beyond Borders Blog

**This was a production of; The Coalition Against Illegal Immigration (CAII). If you would like to participate please go to The Uncooperative Blogger or Freedom Folks and email us. We will add you to the blogroll, and send you the rest of the info you will need.