Freedom Folks

Friday, March 31, 2006

Illegal immigrants rally for tuition break

Here are the wages of lawlessness...

Source: ocobserver
TRENTON — More than 100 people rallied yesterday in front of the Statehouse Annex, urging state and federal lawmakers to allow children of undocumented immigrants to attend college at in-state tuition rates.

The smaller-than-advertised, but loud, crowd chanted in English and Spanish as students spoke of college dreams snuffed out because their parents illegally took them to America when they were young.

Ozge Ozler, 18, of Cinnaminson wanted to attend Rutgers University or Temple University but is ineligible for student aid or in-state tuition because her parents illegally emigrated from Turkey.

"I came to this country when I was 2 years old. It's not like I had a choice," Ozler said. "I lived here my entire life. I'm as American as the next person. I'm an outcast in the only place I can call home."

Full-time, undergraduate tuition at Rutgers University this year for in-state residents averages $7,336, while full-time undergrads who aren't New Jersey residents are charged about $14,935 for tuition.

Camden activist Angel Cordero, 45, led the crowd in fiery chants of "Si, se puede" ("Yes, we can"), "Latinos unido jamas seran vencidos" ("United Latinos will never be defeated"), or simply, "Not fair."
Though I don't agree with this one little bit, the deal killer for me is this phrase: United Latinos will never be defeated. Once you step through this doorway there's no going back. Race baiting and race pandering have become endemic and it needs to stop. I don't give a rat's furry patoot when you came, how old you were or where you came from. I care about how you or your parents came.

Not legal? Your short sighted parents should have thought of that before they came. This does not qualify as my problem, this does not qualify as our problem. I know this sounds harsh and cold, that might be because it is harsh and cold, but it's also the truth as I see it.

And when you hold these noisy rallies it just hardens my heart against you. You have no rights here, that's the truth. Don't like it, lump it!

These are the wages of not enforcing the law. This situation should never have been allowed to get to this point. Short sighted politicians and businessmen have let this happen on their watch and now that it's spinning out of control they counsel us we have to just accept it.

In fact they say the solution to these problems is more lawlessness. Um, okay, as we learned in '86 all that happens when you ignore the law is more ignoring of the law. The solution to this is not to reward those who came here after the "one time only" amnesty of '86. The solution is to reclaim our heritage as a country guided by the rule of law.

Then and only then can we even consider "immigration reform."

Nope, I certainly don't have to accept this. You guys caused this problem, solve it, or we will!

"United Latinos will never be defeated" indeed!

Technorati Tags: , ,