Freedom Folks

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Oikophobia?

I am a bit of a word-o-phile.  I love words, they are the coin of the realm for clear communication, that is my rational explanation, but there is also some of the little kid in me that thrills at how ones view of the world is changed by the simple act of learning a new word.

This is good case in point.  I cannot tell you how many times, in big cerulean blue Chicago, I have had to ask my confrere why they so hated this country.  What had brought them to the point of loathing a country that I see as, while certainly imperfect, damn near the best fallen humans can create.  Here's a taste from this excellent post...
Oikophobia in part is the product of that ancient snobbism that looked to Paris and London for everything classy. It is in part a transformation of criticism of one or another policy of the government into a disdain for the whole society. And it is in part an expression of the big-city intellectual's sense of superiority to the rubes.
We none of us can ever truly explain why we love our spouses, our kids, our pets, friends, co-workers and so forth. Any attempt invariably falters on the maudlin, we just do, nuff said.  In that vein, far too many of those who call themselves Americans just don't like this country, would like it to be something different than it has been historically.

While I'm not a historian, I have a love of history, and I tend to think that a basic understanding of history helps us avoid many basic errors.  I'm consistently astonished by the frequent use of the term un-American to describe activities we have performed consistently in our history.  Mass deportation is un-American?  Really?  Perhaps somebody should tell Ike.

What precisely is un-American about removing those who've entered the country illegally?  This is a mystery I assume I'll never solve simply because it's rank emotionalizing masquerading as reasoned argument, or, personal interest (i.e. my daddy's illegal) as opposed to a well reasoned position.

To bring this back around to the point, I am reminded of Natalie Maines recent comments regarding patriotism.  Why indeed should we love our country?  To state the obvious, it would help if those teaching our children would tell the truth and let go of the crackpipe, it's very hard to arrive at a well reasoned position if all you've been taught are lies, but why should we love this country?

Perhaps because if enough of us don't she'll cease to exist in any meaningful way.  I think that's a pretty good reason to love a pretty amazing country.

What say you?

H/T Lonewacko

Technorati Tags: ,