Freedom Folks

Saturday, October 08, 2005

Juan Williams Needs To Chill

Again, the Political Teen fills my computer monitor with the foul stench of broadcast television.

I just watched this.

For starters, WOW! I don't know if I've ever seen more intensity and honesty in the history of television. Emotions were high as Juan Williams and Brit Hume debated Bill Bennett's highly controversial remarks.

Coupla things. I think Brit Hume's comments on race were some of the most trenchant remarks I've heard on the subject in years.

Mara Liasson showed the traditional Liberal disdain for any fact that is uncomfortable. Nobody is saying let's go kill black babies, NOBODY! In fact Mr. Bennett suggested the exact opposite, yet all you can hear is "race and crime". Mara, the statistics are pretty straightforward on this subject. I know their not pleasant, but there you have it. Reality based community indeed.

Mr. Juan Williams embodied the problem we face as a country and in our communities when it comes to talking about the powder keg that is race relations. Juan should be ashamed of imputing Nazi type tendencies to Bill Bennett. What the hell was he thinking? Answer: He wasn't.

As soon as the race card dropped so did his reason and intellect, which I for one thought was a shame. Though I tend to disagree with Mr. Williams on a host of subjects, I normally find him an articulate and passionate advocate for his positions and beliefs. Not this day. It was clear to me that he felt passionately on this issue, unfortunately, it also seemed to rob him of his keen intellect, and that's not a good thing.

If you haven't seen this take a moment and do so. I think you'll see the whole problem with race in this country distilled into a five minute debate.