Freedom Folks

Friday, January 06, 2006

Italian Man Sues to Disprove Jesus' Existence

An Italian court is tackling Jesus -- and whether the Roman Catholic Church may be breaking the law by teaching that he existed 2,000 years ago.

The case pits against each other two men in their 70s, who are from the same central Italian town and even went to the same seminary school in their teenage years.
It's all here.

"I started this lawsuit because I wanted to deal the final blow against the Church, the bearer of obscurantism and regression," Cascioli told Reuters.
So Cascioli singled out a former schoolmate, now a priest, and began the legal process to present argument and let a judge decide on the existence of Christ.

Speaking to Reuters, Righi, 76, sounded frustrated by the case and baffled as to why Cascioli -- who, like him, came from the town of Bagnoregio -- singled him out in his crusade against the Church.

"We're both from Bagnoregio, both of us. We were in seminary together. Then he took a different path and we didn't see each other anymore," Righi said.

"Since I'm a priest, and I write in the parish newspaper, he is now suing me because I 'trick' the people."
It's crazy, but you know what I'm thankful for? That this isn't going down in our own 9th circuit court. Now THAT would give me the chills.