Freedom Folks

Thursday, January 05, 2006

Thieves steal another radioactive unit

Well, when it comes to radioactive "units" I believe I could show these clowns a thing or two.

CARACAS, Venezuela (Reuters) - Thieves in Venezuela have stolen equipment containing radioactive material used in the oil industry, in the latest in a string of similar incidents, officials said on Wednesday.

Now here's the horrible part. I admit, I couldn't decide if I should laugh or cry.

In neighboring Brazil in 1987, scrap-metal scavengers took a container with Cesium-137 from an abandoned radiation-therapy clinic. Children smeared the material on their faces and bodies because it glowed after the container was opened. Four people died and about 250 suffered from radiation contamination.

That's quite possibly the craziest thing I've ever heard.