Freedom Folks

Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Latinos Say They're Being Targeted in Waukegan: Minutemen to Protest

Upset with Latino concerns about Waukegan’s controversial towing ordinance, a group fighting illegal immigration intends to protest Sunday in support of the city’s police.

Rosanna Pulido, founder of the Illinois Minuteman Project, said those peeved about the towing law are backers of illegal immigrants without valid driver’s licenses.
Well, I'm not exactly "upset with Latino concerns," just with ILLEGAL immigration and those who for some reason I can't comprehend actually think it's OK. And Sunday will find me in Waukegan with bells on.

Waukegan’s ordinance was criticized for targeting Latinos during a Jan. 16 meeting at Holy Family Parish.
Now THAT is what upsets me. I'm so tired of people claiming that Latinos are being "targeted" because they have larger numbers than any other group breaking a particular law. I am tired of being called a racist and anti-immigrant because I am against ILLEGAL immigration. I can't help it if 80% of illegal immigrants come from Mexico. But I can guarantee you this: if 80% were coming from Sweden, or Australia, or Canada, it wouldn't change what I think, say, or do about the problem. You see, my problem is not with the second half of the term, it's with the first half -- the ILLEGAL part.

To quote my dear brother, let's look at this critically. (Love ya, Alex!) Given that the majority of serial killers are white, does that mean that laws against serial murder "target" whites? Rape is almost entirely perpetrated by men. Does that mean that rape laws "target" males?

A group is only targeted if their commission of the crime is singled out for prosecution, and other groups are not prosecuted for committing the same crime. If they constitute a higher percentage of the general population and/or are just plain breaking the law more than other groups, then shut the #$&@ up!

Waukegan Police Chief William Biang said officers are following proper procedure when enforcing the ordinance. He said Hispanics constitute 65 percent of Waukegan’s driving population, with the 35 percent balance split between blacks and whites. (emphasis mine)
Any questions?