Freedom Folks

Saturday, August 12, 2006

A Shared Culture?

Really?  Do we really have a shared culture with Mexico?

Source: Vdare
I have a similar story. Four teenage Mexicans, ages 13-17, beat up my 6-year-old son for his $10 allowance money. My son lost two teeth and needed sutures. His mother, trying to protect him, got the wind knocked out of her.

According to witnesses, the parents of these thugs stood and watched on the porch across the street but did nothing to help my young boy as he was knocked about.

When the police came to arrest the thugs, a local Hispanic leader intimidated the cops. The police chief released the punks.
Nice, very nice. The key element that caught my attention in this story is not the hooligans assaulting the little boy, though I still think that's more likely among Mexicans. What caught my eye was that the parents were watching and did nothing to intervene as a young boy and his mother were assaulted.

When I hear the president prattle on about our famous "shared values" I think of this story. Mexico's culture is as alien to the culture in the United States as someone from the moon. We have almost zero cultural similarity, the Catholic church is dying as a somewhat quaint relic from Europe, and corruption is a way of life down there.

What are these oft quoted shared values? What values do we actually share?

I especially like the part about the Local Hispanic leader intimidating the cops.  Yet another wonderful shared value, or not.

Technorati Tags: , , ,