Freedom Folks

Saturday, October 14, 2006

Mexitude?

Source: apnews

Is this Mexitude?
DETROIT (AP) - Fox baseball broadcaster Steve Lyons has been fired for making a racially insensitive comment directed at colleague Lou Piniella's Hispanic heritage on the air during Game 3 of the American League championship series. *snip*

Later, Piniella said the A's needed Thomas to get "en fuego" - hot in Spanish - because he was currently "frio" - or cold. After Brennaman praised Piniella for being bilingual, Lyons spoke up.

Lyons said that Piniella was "hablaing Espanol" - butchering the conjugation for the word "to speak" - and added, "I still can't find my wallet."

"I don't understand him, and I don't want to sit too close to him now," Lyons continued.

Fox executives told Lyons after the game he had been fired.
Is this Mexitude?  I'm just not sure, it might be.  Clearly this Lyons guy is a bit of a nut, but is this racism?  Racist?  It really doesn't look that way to me, but then again as I'm a rabid anti-dentite, I'm not certain I'm the best possible candidate to make that call.

My favorite bit on "psycho" Lyons?
He also once pulled down his pants on the field during his playing days.
Nut, yes. Racist? I'm not seeing it.

H/T Ace Of Spades

Technorati Tags: , , , , , , , ,