Freedom Folks

Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Why is Race Even an Issue?

Source: OC Register (H/T Immigration Watchdog)

Seeing an all-Hispanic City Council take office in the place he's lived more than four decades fills Armando Berber with pride.

"It shows we're moving up," said Berber, a 65-year-old retiree. "If we're the majority in Santa Ana, why not have people who represent us?"
I am often called a racist because I would like to see every last illegal alien in this country go home and not come back. Somalian illegal aliens. Mexican illegal aliens. Swedish illegal aliens. Chinese illegal aliens. Irish illegal aliens. Egyptian illegal aliens. You name the country/race/skin color/religion/shoe size -- I want 'em gone.

Yet if I suggest that Mr. Berber is a racist for trumpeting an all-Hispanic city council so that "we can have people who represent us" I am a politically incorrect fascist. Oh, yeah...and a racist.

When I consider who gets my vote in an election, race is a non-issue. I don't care what color a candidate's skin is, or what country his ancestors came from. I just want a hard-working, honest (I know, I know -- it's a lot to ask for in a politician) American. Someone who will work in the best interests of all Americans. Someone who loves America and wants to help make it a better place for all Americans.

We only have room for one we, and it has nothing to do with race. The last time I checked, We the people refers to Americans, and I'd sure like to keep it that way.

Technorati Tags
Illegal Immigration * Election * Racism * Hispanic