Freedom Folks

Friday, October 21, 2005

Game Face

While attending the Depaul/Ward Churchill protest last night I had the opportunity to watch my fellow protesters and think a little about how we as conservatives present ourselves in public.

Overall, I was very impressed with my fellow protesters. We were all generally quiet, respectful of both other protesters and authority, we made out point without getting ugly.

However, one situation I witnessed and played a small role in disturbed me. Later in the evening a young black lady approached the Protest Warriors clearly upset and distraught. She accused us and the United States of being racists who wished to harm and hurt black people.

Understandably we were taken aback by her vehemance and accusations. I think if we were to be fully honest we would say we were a little hurt by her. She scolded us for, in her words, supporting a racist government, and again, being racists.

Now, at this point I think people were somewhat in shock. They protested that they were not racists, I suggested that such a blanket statement might suggest she was a racist. She had a very hard time articulating her position, probably because it didn't make much sense, however, it was clear she was hurting. I don't know if anyone noticed but around that time I did a fade and got out of the crowd.

Because by this point people in the crowd were jeering at her. My wife shared with me later that she almost burst into tears at this point.

The challenge I want to lay out to my fellow protesters is to consider your game face. When you attend protests you represent the the good guys. We are actually all about tolerance and diversity in healthy and productive ways.

We represent a philosophy that is truly welcoming and inclusive. All are welcome. Our job is to stand firm without sinking to the level of our antagonists. Remember that a lot of the people we stand against are hurting, they believe in things that don't make sense to any reasonable person. They have committed themselves to such a dissonant viewpoint that it's tearing them apart.

I guess what I'm getting at is just this, absolutely stand firm in what you believe, debte passionately. Don't we always say that if it comes to name calling and mockery you have already lost the argument? Let's be the good guys in all we do. Yes I stand for certain ideas and philosophies and beliefs. I wish others to come to those beliefs, however, I know beyond the shadow of a doubt I will not reach them if I drive them away and hurt them further. Don't get drawn into thier fallacious arguments or ways of thinking. They may be nuts but we don't have to act nuts to argue with them.

If you think I'm taking our side to task you couldn't be more wrong. I was exceedingly proud of those I stood with last night. We fought the good fight and did it with class.

I know I had several people approach me last night to find out what was going on. One young man stood talking with my wife and I for several minutes before paying us what I thought was an extraordinary compliment. He said he normally hated protesters, but that we seemed pretty reasonable. He mentioned that the usual protestes he saw around campus were usually very hateful and if you didn't agree with them they would start yelling at you.

We surveyed together the crowd of patriots quietly protesting a univesities discriminatory policy and I felt a surge of pride to stand with those who believed in a country strong and united.

Thanks guys, I'm proud of you all!

Jake