Freedom Folks

Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Paying The Bill

This article discusses the role of personal change in regards to the death penalty. Governors Schwarzenneger of California and Warner of Virginia must decide whether to grant clemency in two current cases.

Of course I have an opinion.

Okay, suppose for a minute I were on drugs and because I was out of control I ran up a huge credit card bill. Then I made a decision to clean my life up and accept Jesus. During the time when I got clean I then defaulted on my credit card bills.

Would I still owe that money?

Well, of course I would. As do each of these murderers. I am not surprised that they came to Jesus during thier incarcerations, impending doom tends to sharpen the focus a bit. And honestly I hope thier sincere, I hope the change is real. It will make what comes next much easier.

Because, so long as they are guilty they need to fry. It makes precisely zero difference that they cleaned up thier lives in this context. No matter how wonderful they are now, they were killers and rapists. No matter what they say now, it makes not a whit of difference to what they did in the past. Saying I'm sorry in a pitiful voice doesn't cut it when you've committed cold blooded murder.

Soft headed liberals recoil from this due to a genetic inability to assign blame where it properly belongs. The usual argument from the do gooders sounds something like this -- "But they were on drugs, they couldn't control themselves, it's not thier fault."

Let's take a look at this drivel for a moment. Should a drunk driver be excused because he or she was drunk? Is that not the height of insanity? Each decision forms a chain leading back to the first good or bad decision. Each one builds on the last, irrespective of race, color or creed. We are all a product of our choices, as it should be.

The broken bodies and lives these men left behind cry out and I feel pity for the person who is unable to hear that cry.

I have only two caveats as regards the death penalty. First, I don't think anyone should benefit politically from putting someone else to death. Putting someone to death is too big and serious a deal. Whenever politics get involved I personally feel a bit squeamish. Second, I would like to see a special court set up just for death penalty cases with special rules and special penalties for both teams of litigators. Hide exculpatory evidence go to jail, that sort of thing.

I urge these governors, so long as these gentlemen appear truly guilty, to let justice be done.

It's time to pay the bill gentlemen.

***UPDATE***
Way to go Ahnold! ice to know you got a set to go with those massive pecs!

As seen @

California Conservative

Donkey Stomp

beautiful atrocities

another rovian conspiracy

the subjective scribe

sheep crib

flopping aces

those bastards

fullosseousflap's

socal law blog

The Political Teen

Stop The ACLU
-----