Freedom Folks

Monday, November 28, 2005

Time Article Smears Minutemen

I just read this awful excuse for journalism at TIME.com. (Hat tip: Minuteman Blog)

I have to confess, I was pissed. I sat down to blog on it, then had an even better idea: instead of letting my steam off to you, why not direct it at the editors over at Time. A most excellent idea (I have one every once in a while). So, without further ado, my letter to Time:

I had the misfortune of reading the above article by Terry McCarthy today in the online version of your magazine. I have read editorials where the author's own personal opinion did not come across in such a scathingly evident fashion. I grew up sneaking your magazine off my dad's nightstand every week to read the latest news, and I am outraged that this story made it past your editor(s) as a fair and unbiased piece of reporting.

McCarthy describes the Minutemen as "barking," and "bearing down on Hispanic workers." He describes the workers as taking "refuge" upon "sensing trouble." He quotes the center's project coordinator, Salvador Reza, as saying, "It was starting to become dangerous. They wanted to create violence and then blame it on the laborers," yet doesn't even question how Mr. Reza could possibly know what was going on inside the heads of the Minutemen.

If there was any vestige of professionalism left in McCarthy, he threw it out the window with sarcastic comments such as:

"Although the demonstrators denied having violent intent, they surely had plans for any photographs they could take of laborers being hired on the street."

"...the Minutemen's timing, at least, is deft. But vigilantism is a risky business, particularly when it carries an odor of race baiting."

"Until Congress decides, the Minutemen are likely to keep showing up at labor centers to take pictures, and the immigrants will keep coming to look for jobs. What happens between them will continue to make witnesses queasy..."

This isn't journalism. It's a blatant abuse of media power to smear a group with whom the writer (at least) disagrees. Frankly, it makes me queasy, and I'm allowed to say that because this is my opinion and you're getting it for free.

I will never buy Time again. I will encourage everyone I know to never buy Time again. I will suggest that readers of my blog never buy Time again.

With deep disappointment,

MJ
Michelle Jacobsen
Chicago, Illinois
To make good on my word, readers: please don't ever buy Time again...and, while you're at it, why not give the editor a piece of your mind, too?

As seen @
A Certain Slant of Light
Euphoric Reality
-----