Freedom Folks

Saturday, December 17, 2005

Nora Ephron: So When You Hear the Words “the American People,” Just Lie Back on the Cushion, Because You’re About to Get Screwed

It would pain me if the XXL asshats at Huffington's boast got a single hit from this blog. So, in the interests of keeping Jake happy let's just review this drivel here--

From Harold Pinter’s Nobel Prize Acceptance Speech:

“You have to hand it to America. It has exercised a quite clinical manipulation of power worldwide while masquerading as a force for universal good. It’s a brilliant, even witty, highly successful act of hypnosis. I put it to you that the United States is without doubt the greatest show on the road. Brutal, indifferent, scornful and ruthless it may be but it is also very clever. As a salesman it is out on its own and its most saleable commodity is self-love. It’s a winner. Listen to all American presidents on television say the words, ‘the American people,’ as in the sentence, ‘I say to the American people it is time to pray and to defend the rights of the American people and I ask the American people to trust their president in the action he is about to take on behalf of the American people.’ It’s a scintillating stratagem. Language is
actually employed to keep thought at bag. The words, ‘The American people’
provide a truly voluptuous cushion of reassurance. You don’t need to think. Just
lie back on the cushion.”

From George Bush’s interview with Jim Lehrer today:

PRESIDENT BUSH: Jim, we do not discuss ongoing intelligence operations to protect the country, and the reason why is that there's an enemy that lurks, that would like to know exactly what we're trying to do to stop them. I will make this point. That whatever I do to protect the American people, and I have an obligation to do so, that we will uphold the law, and decisions made are made understanding we have an obligation to protect the civil liberties of the American people.

MR. LEHRER: So if, in fact, these things did occur, they were done legally and properly?

PRESIDENT BUSH: So you're trying to get me to talk about a program--

MR. LEHRER: Yeah.

PRESIDENT BUSH: --that's important not to talk about, and the reason why
is that we're at a war with an enemy that still wants to attack. I, uh--after
9/11, I told the American people I would do everything in my power to protect
the country, within the law, and that's exactly how I conduct my presidency.

MR. LEHRER: Well, Mr. President, with all due respect, wouldn't you think--don't you believe that answer is going to lead people to believe that you're confirming that in fact you did this?

PRESIDENT BUSH: We don't talk about sources and methods. Don't talk about ongoing intelligence operations. I know there's speculation. But it's important for the American people to understand that we will do--or I will use my powers to protect us, and I will do so under the law, and that's important for our citizens to understand.
So Mrs. Ephron, in your (not) infinite wisdom what phrase shall we use to replace this perfectly serviceable one?

My fellow human members of no particular racial or tribal affiliation?

Nah, to wordy

Hmmm...

The inhabitants of the middle undifferentiated landmass formerly known as America.

Nah, the left hasn't succeeded in making that fantasy of theirs come true yet.

Okay, I give, what should we say Nora?