Freedom Folks

Tuesday, January 10, 2006

NOW Outraged!

The National Organization for Women wants Joe Paterno, Penn State's head coach, fired for insensitive remarks. It's almost hard to believe that NOW is upset, has this ever happened before? I can't seem to recall right off hand, but it's pretty hard to believe, they seem like such nice young things... :)

Here's the statement...

He then added: "There's some tough -- there's so many people gravitating to these kids. He may not have even known what he was getting into, Nicholson. They knock on the door; somebody may knock on the door; a cute girl knocks on the door. What do you do?" "Geez. I hope -- thank God they don't knock on my door because I'd refer them to a couple of other rooms," Paterno continued. "But that's too bad. You hate to see that. I really do. You like to see a kid end up his football career. He's a heck of a football player, by the way; he's a really good football player. And it's just too bad."

Yeah, cuz you know, college football player, yeah, no girls in that deal. I don't know anything about the allegations, don't want to know. I have as much interest in football as I do living out the pup tent scene in Brokeback Mountain. But this seems like overkill to me. Paterno seems kind of lost here, not advocating rape or sexual assault.

Please let me know if I'm wrong, but I ain't seeing the beef here.

Also, this "football" thingie they keep talking about? I know there's some sort of inflatable device involved, after that I get a litle iffie. It's a "sport" right, like poker?

h/t Upstated (If you have any questions about "football" I think James has a handle on this mystifying religion)