Freedom Folks

Monday, January 02, 2006

On the Political Importance of Issues

Who would buy a car without first taking it out for a spin? Who chooses a doctor without finding out a little something about his background? Who votes for a politican without knowing what he believes, what he stands for, where he comes down on the issues?

Well, a particular candidate seeking the Republican nomination to run for governor in Illinois later this year wants people to do just that. I didn't believe it until I saw it with my very own eyes.

Following are the websites of all four Republicans seeking the nomination:

Bill Brady
Ron Gidwitz
Jim Oberweis
Judy Baar Topinka

The three men have fine websites with varying amounts of information about them and their stance on the issues of the day.

Then there's Topinka's site. It's one page. One. It gives no info about the candidate, what she thinks about the issues, or about anything, for that matter.

In order to get on the ballot I must file 10,000 signatures with the State Board of Elections next month. Your help collecting those signatures will be invaluable. Please download and print the petition forms located on this page and have your family, friends and neighbors sign them. Instructions for completing and returning them are included with the petitions. It does not matter if the page is full, every signature counts.
Correction: apparently, she knows that she needs signatures to get on the ballot. Unbelievable. She's going to ask me to sign, not to mention download a petition and get all my friends to sign, without telling me a damn thing about herself, her views, her plans.

Give me a break.

I'd just as soon sign to nominate my cat, Sandburg, to take down Blagojevich.

He's not very political -- he's all about napping, and eating, and playing, and napping some more. But I bet you if he had a website, that info would be on it for all to see.