Freedom Folks

Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Quotes Of The Day

Today we visit with a true architect of the American spirit, Teddy Roosevelt...
"Thrice happy is the nation that has a glorious history. Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." T.R.

"Is America a weakling, to shrink from the work of the great world powers? No! The young giant of the West stands on a continent and clasps the crest of an ocean in either hand. Our nation, glorious in youth and strength, looks into the future with eager eyes and rejoices as a strong man to run a race." T.R.
When I read these quotes it stirs in my heart a love and love of my country.

Lately I've been debating ilegal immigration issues with some folks and one element has really annoyed me. Mealy mouthed appeasement, the soft words of men who have no pride in self or country. Cowards.

I believe in American exceptionalism, I believe in it. It is an article of faith to me that America is a gret country, perhaps that idea is passe. Most people I speak with these days seem to have a bemused contempt for this country, this country that has blessed them beyond measure. Blessed them with peace and prosperity, hope, love, education, the list is almost endless, yet when I mention how great I think this land is people curl their lip as though I just waved a dog turd under their nose.

These appeasers tell me that we require the importation of foreign workers because Americans aren't smart enough, they tell me we must import physical laborers because Americans are too lazy. Well I call bullcrap on that!

American workers in my book are the best in the world and I have managed people in a physical job the majority of my life. We are second to none. Yet, over and over we hear that the American worker is no good, not smart enough, not well trained enough.

Doesn't that piss you off? It should.

Another aspect of the appeasement that makes me bang my head against the wall. To be told that this great land cannot solve whatever problem faces us. Really? This is the country that kept the world safe from Communism for fifty years. The country that sacrificed blood and treasure to take down Naziism and Fascism can't control it's own border? Can't decide who should be citizens in this great land?

Nonsense! Of course we can, we just won't, and that's all the difference in the world.

I am an American and I'm goddamned proud of that fact, I'm sorry if you're not. I at once feel sorry for you and feel contempt for you. I am an American, I am goddamned proud of that fact, never, ever ashamed.

How about you?
The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life. T.R.
Technorati Tags: , , , , ,