Freedom Folks

Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Letter to Pat Quinn

I just dashed off a letter to my Lieutenant Governor, Pat Quinn, regarding this. If you'd care to do the same, you can fax him at (312) 814-4862, or send an e-mail.

Dear Lieutenant Governor Quinn:

I have just read about next week’s Mexican Independence Skyline Tribute and, as a resident of Chicago and an American, I am confused and appalled.

My father was a legal immigrant from England, and became a naturalized citizen when I was two years old. He served this country honorably for 21 years in the U.S. Air Force. He earned a college education, raised a family, and contributed greatly to this country. Like many immigrants from countries the world over, he respected this nation, honored its laws, served its citizens, and, by doing so, made it a better place.

He would have been as bewildered as I am if you had tried to thank him by beaming the Union Jack on the side of the Sears Tower to celebrate Guy Fawkes Day.

On your website you refer to “an estimated 550,000 Mexican-Americans" who currently live in the Chicago area.” I will give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you are referring to naturalized U.S. citizens who came here legally from Mexico. Because anyone who has not attained citizenship is, of course, not an American, never mind anyone who is in the country illegally.

There is a vast difference, in my mind, between remembering and enjoying the cultural background of your own family, and our government celebrating the holiday of a foreign country – purportedly for Americans! It makes no sense and, frankly, I find it insulting.

I am sure it is too late to stop this travesty – even if you wanted to, which I sincerely doubt – but please think about the message this sends, to Americans of every background and culture: ¡Viva Mexico!

Is that really the message that an American governmental body should be sending?

This American and Chicagoan says no.

Technorati Tags
Illegal Immigration * Mexitude * Chicago * Sanctuary City * Illinois * Pat Quinn