Freedom Folks

Friday, April 13, 2007

Some Good Debate Going On Up In This Bee-yatch!

Kd and Jackson (pronounced -- Yaksun) are having a battle royale...

Here

I want to comment on one of the points of contention and provide my take.

Allow me to don my Mr. Wizard persona...

Jackson (Yaksun) accuses KD of an ad hominem attack because KD compared him to Al Sharpton. Now it is possible for that to be an ad hominem, but it's not in this case.

In case y'all aren't clear on what an ad hominem attack is, it's when you avoid responding to a person's argument by insulting them personally, i.e.

Tom: I think it would be better if taxes were cut, it stimulates the economy and creates more jobs and revenue.

Phil: You're ugly and your mother dresses you funny!

This is a silly example but it is an ad hominem attack, a term I often find misused and abused in blog comment sections, and if you know anything about me it's that I'm all about the proper usage of words.

Carry on about your business!