Freedom Folks

Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Facing Down The Ghouls Of The Left

We counter-protested the "Not one more" rally in downtown Chicago tonight. My wife and I were the only ones there representing our country in a positve light.

A couple of quick thoughts before I get to the meat. I was reminded tonight of a time over the summer when I was researching blogs, the right leaning blogs had flags posted maybe 70% of the time, left leaning blogs NEVER, ever posted a flag. Same tonight, you would have thought we were carrying garlic at a vampire convention by the way these folks reacted to seeing Old Glory waving in the breeze.

We were of course insulted, I found out tonight that in spite of my devout hetero status that I enjoy fellating men, who knew? I also learned that my lovely wife and I are "disgusting" "Ignorant" "Brownshirts" "Fascists" "unread" "Wrong" "Assholes" "McCarthyites"

Well, you get the idea. It was not easy standing there in a sea of hatred and lies such as we were in tonight.

An entertaining lady approached us early on and debated us for about twenty minutes. What was interesting about her to me was that she told us she was a doctor and then went on to explain that "everybody" in the crowd around us was there for only the best of reasons. That "everybody" knew that the war was based on lies and that "nobody" was using this event for political purpose or gain.

I found it interesting first of all that someone who should have at least a rudimentary training in scientific thought could make such wild assumptions and then get a little huffy when an untrained lout like me called her on them.

Two statements made by the speakers jumped out at me. The first was a young lady who lost her sister in the war, for this I am truly sorry, but, she made the statement that her sister only signed up for the benefits and "had no idea what she was getting herself into."

Mmmmm...Bullshit! I am sick unto death of this argument. her sister was clearly old enough to know exactly what she was getting into, again we have the left condescending to those brave folks who sign the dotted line. They know what their signing up for. I think it's time to put this one to bed, it's an all volunteer force, okay?

The second was a gentleman who stated that we need to allow the soldiers to apologize to us when they come home...WTF!!!

No, NO, NO! We need to celebrate them as the best among us. We need to let them know in no uncertain terms that we appreciate them and their service to our shared country. Finally, we need to fete them, break out the goddamn fatted lamb and celebrate every single one who makes it home safe and sound.

Not, I repeat, not give them the kind of welcome the left gave our soldiers coming home from Vietnam. This bastard went on to talk about how we would have to look them in the eyes when they came home as if that would be difficult. This will only be difficult for ninny lefties who lack in so many ways but most of all in the simple art of gratitude. As I commented to my wife, I'm sure it was patriotic Conservatives who were spitting on the troops back then. Yeah!

We did have a neat experience this evening. About two hours into the protest we were being hassled by a young anarchist lady who we've encountered at different events. She was suggesting that we should not enjoy first amendment rights since we were troublemaking activists, of course she couldn't finish a sentence without sounding like someone with advanced Tourette's. An older lady standing near us who was part of the group we were counter-protesting upbraided the young lady telling her firmly that this was one of the great freedom's of our country, that we could all protest without violence. Ironically the first thing we heard the young lady say that day was that she personally had no freedom. Ahhh, irony in action.

I'm glad to have stood up for my country tonight. While I'm sure their were many sincere people present tonight I found the bulk to be self serving. They want us out of Iraq no matter the consequences and if it costs us or the Iraqi's a couple of thousand or million deaths -- oh well, so sad.

As we were leaving a businessman stopped and asked us what was going on. we responded by pointing to the larger crowd and saying we were there to protest them. He said so what are they protesting? My patience had worn a little thin by this point, I responded "Their a bunch of goddamn crybabies who are against the war!"

And you know what? I still think that's true.