Freedom Folks

Monday, October 10, 2005

Talking About Talking With the Left

My hubby, Jake, just posted this tale of his recently attempted debate-via-e-mail with a fellow writer, who happens to be a self-proclaimed liberal. I was struck by a few things, and e-mailed them to Jake, who suggested I post them here. Have a read. Have a laugh. Try not to have a cow. My comments are in red.

He (Mr. Liberal) said:

It is complete falsehood to say that "those on the left are seemingly incapable of loving this country".That's absolutely not true. We love this country, infact many would say we love it far more deeply and sincerely than the Right. (He never explains how the left loves this country more than the right, and I'd like to know. He does, however, tear you a new one for suggesting that the right loves this country more than the left. Seems like a double standard to me.) The things we love about this country are things that the Right seems determined to destroy. (Again, he fails to identify those "things that the Right seems determined to destroy." Sounds like a slanderous lie to me [see next sentence].) Shame on you for that slanderous lie! (Getting himself worked into a lathered frenzy now, in the hopes of distracting you from the fact that he is answering none of your questions and saying nothing of any substance.) It sounds like a catch phrase, but it's certainly not true.

You said:

I don't want to fall into the dangerous morass of only talking to like minded folk, it's all to easy to do. (READ: It's good and healthy to talk and debate with people who don't have the same beliefs and thoughts as you.)

He (Mr. Moonbat) said:

When you can admit the fact that the left is motivated by the same love of country as yourself,there might be some point to this exercise. Until then, go back to talking amongst yourselves about how awful we are. (READ: I can't give you any evidence that I love my country, or even bring myself to say the words directly, but until you confess that it's true I'm right you're wrong ninny ninny boo boo I'm not talking to you.)

He-Who-Leans-to-Left said:

Your emails have contained attacks against my love of country and my very right to have opinions that differ from yours.

You said:

I find it instructive to talk to people and attempt to find out thier opinions on things.

AND

Dissent is of course one aspect of patriotism, but, if that's all a person does, if all they "say" is I love my country but make every effort to turn this into another failed Communist state.

Call me crazy, but I believe that you openly express not only your belief that he has a right to state his thoughts/opinions/beliefs, but also your desire to hear them. How does that translate into your attacking his "very right to have opinions that differ from yours?"