Freedom Folks

Friday, October 21, 2005

The Teacher

Another story from last night at the Depaul/Ward Churchill protest.

As night fell we waited for the event to let out. Finally people began to stream form the building, each with a supportive or derisive comment.

A lady walked past me, stopped and took a moment to read my sign. It said, FREE SPEECH -- YES! TREASON -- NO!

Her face curled up like someone waved a dog turd under her nose and she approached me in a firm fashion. "Everything he said tonight was protected free speech you know."

Let me direct your attention again to what my sign actully said. FREE SPEECH -- YES!

With unabashed look of surprise I lowered my sign and with my finger traced the offending phrase and said "I agree wholeheartedly."

This did not appease the old nut so she finally read the second half of the sign. If anything the turd increased in size as she continued, "Treason?"

I assented. I explained that I thought several statements he'd made amounted to treason and that I was unhappy that Depaul had paid him a large sum of money to spew his vitriol on campus.

She shook her head and told me I was wrong.

Okay, I told her we'd have to agree to disagree. She agreed curtly and stomped off and had this confrontation with Marathon Pundit. (Blogspot won't let me link. Go to Marathon Pundit and scroll down to "Depaul Professor to me 'I would never allow you in my classroom'"

The moral of the story? She was a teacher! Couldn't this alleged teacher read English? Is this who's teaching our children? I'm more concerned about her being an idiot than a crusty old lefty!