Freedom Folks

Monday, December 05, 2005

Work Americans Won't Do?

I was just reading this...

Toward the end of the article there is a quote--

"We live better because of them," says Del Brink, a retiree who lives near Palm Springs. "Who's going to do the dirty work in this country? The whites? Hell, no. The blacks? Hell no. These guys are out working tarring roofs when it's 110 degrees out."

I don't think Mr. Brinks has the foggiest notion what he's talking about.

Since I've become involved with border issues I've noticed that a lot of the folks leading the movement come from a white collar background. Now, that's not a bad thing, but do these folks really know that Americans will do these jobs which we are so often told only an illegal will do?

I do one of those jobs, I'm a blue collar guy, though I'm a chef, I'm old school. I started at the bottom washing dishes and worked my way up, I didn't go to some snooty school to learn my trade, I learned it in the trenches.

One thing I think we're in danger of losing with the influx of illegal aliens is an American blue collar middle class. I would argue that the American middle class has always been a repository for good old fashioned common sense, while the more educated classes have a nasty habit of chasing after lofty sounding ideas and things that the schlubs really don't care much about.

I work in hot kitchens, on greasy, slippery floors, handling sharp knives and operating dangerous equipment and I love it. It's what I do.

And I'll let you in on a little secret...I would rather argue politics with your average kitchen worker than the college educated. Why, because the kitchen worker has a ground level appreciation of how thier being contiually screwed by the gubmint. and they tend to be delightfully scatological and dry.

I don't think this countries founders dreamed of a day when college degrees were basically worthless and everybody sold cell phones. I would love to see the blue collar middle class come roaring back in this country.

Think it can't happen? I call horsepucky on that one. We require no more than the willingness to demand a little spine of our elected representatives. To vote them out of office when they export our middle class abroad and import the killers of the American blue collar middle class.

Here's a thought to chew on. When I was a fair number of years younger I knew a fellow who was supporting a family of four and putting two kids through college on his salary as a cook at Denny's.

What changed?

H/T 2 The Minuteman National Blog