Freedom Folks

Sunday, December 04, 2005

Illegal Immigrants Getting Illegal Mortgages

Jake & I spent yesterday morning protesting Bank Calumet in Munster, Indiana, where they have decided it's a good idea to hand out mortgages to illegal immigrants. We have attended several of these before...see previous coverage coverage here and here.

We had a good turnout, especially considering that it was only 26 degrees outside. I think I just finished thawing out about 3 minutes ago.

We drew some "audience" reaction yesterday as we shivered on the sidewalk, holding our signs up in a cold wind. I thought I'd share the comments I received from those who braved the chill long enough to bravely but briefly rolled their windows down to yell at me.

"Viva Mexico!"

This was a drive-by comment. If I'd had the opportunity to respond: If that's the country dearest to your heart, why don't you go viva EN Mexico?

"Go home!"

Another drive-by. The obvious answer, of course: I AM home.

The last one was actually a conversation, where the guy rolls to a stop in front of me and reaches across the lap of his 3-ish-year-old-child to talk to me. He was a young guy with an American accent, just for the record.

HE: Isn't everyone in this country an immigrant?
ME: Not an illegal one.
HE: Define illegal.
ME: Breaking the law.
HE: Oh, yeah?

That's all I got -- he squealed off after his final, devastating rebuttal of "Oh, yeah?" I guess he realized that I do know the definition of illegal. Damn my infernal intelligence!

As I've blogged before, Illegal Immigration is a two-word phrase. I would love for someone to tell me, lucidly and logically, why they support illegal immigration. They can't, because it's ILLEGAL. So what do they do? Focus in on the other word in the phrase and call me anti-immigrant in a gotcha tone. "Oh, yeah?"

Great job. Pat yourselves on the back.

When you can back up your support of illegal immigration, come back and see me, and we can sit down and have an actual discussion about it. Until then, just keep on throwing names and insults from the kiddie table.

As seen @

Cao's Blog (We love Cao!)

Uncooperative Blogger