Freedom Folks

Tuesday, March 28, 2006

A Great American!

It's always annoyed me when I listen to the Sean Hannity show and they use the phrase: "You're a great American" so casually, diluting it's true meaning.

Our good pal Gunner over at the Tanker Bros. is a great American!

He makes a point in his post today that in essence sums up everything I've ever tried to say on this blog. An American can be any race, color, ethnicity, background, but the key is that they are Americans. And as an aside i've always believed in surrounding myself with people much smarter than I am, that way I am always challenged to do better.

I hear too much talk today that conflates Latino with American. It can be the same thing, it can also be the exact opposite. But there is no conflating Mexican with American and the fact that we have people in this country who are stupid enough to buy that specious logic scares me to death.

I have to laugh when I talk to people who assume I'm white. I am about an 1/8 black, 1/4 Native American, a 1/4 Irish and then assorted whatnot. Shake, stir and you know what you get...an American!!

I like to think of myself as a true American mongrel.

:)

I'm proud to call this guy a friend, read the whole damn thing.

Technorati Tags: , ,