Freedom Folks

Monday, March 27, 2006

President Bush To Patriots...

You're a xenophobe, shut up!

Source: David Frum's Diary

My forebodings of a year ago seem to be taking on my reality every day: Immigration truly is emerging as an issue that can shatter the Republican party. The president is determined to thrust upon the party an amnesty/guestworker approach that is opposed by the overwhelming majority of the Republican rank-and-file. He has come to believe - and tells visitors to the White House - that party opposition to him is based on irrational fear, ignorance, and prejudice. (Just like Dubai! Or for that matter, Harriet Miers.)

If anything were calculated to solidify the perception that this administration scorns the values and concerns of the ordinary Republican - if anything were designed to discourage ordinary Republican from turning out in November 2006 - it is what this administration is doing now. At a moment when the president needs his maximum strength to see his foreign policy through to success, he is gambling everything on a wager he cannot win. His version of immigration reform can only pass Congress with Democratic votes, and there is zero possibiilty that the Democrats will help him - but every likelihood that they will egg him on to incite a Republican civil war on the issue that most bitterly divides the president's party.

I didn't start off hating this president, but every time he opens his mouth these days I hate him a little more and it pains me to say that. I believe in loyalty, but when you abuse my trust and then tell me I'm irrationally fearful, ignorant and prejudiced?

With all due respect Mr. President have you lost your damn mind. Here's a thought, why don't you come to my doorstep, leave the secret service behind, and say this to my face. Sir, I'll kick your ass. I'd like to remind you of something you've clearly forgotten sir, you are in office to serve us. Not the other way around.

You're not a god sir, you have no superpowers, you are an American. Your focus should be on your people who have selected you to keep them safe. Acting solicitous toward those who have broken our laws to come here makes me scorn you sir. Calling me names only underscores my feeling that you know you're morally wrong on this, but you want it anyway, American citizens be damned.

While I have for the most part supported you in the war on terror, I can no longer pretend you have my, or my countries best interests at heart. At the end of the day that is your precise utility to me sir. We're not friends, I don't know you personally, and whether or not I "like" you has very little to do with my support. You serve a purpose, and that's it.

When you refuse to listen to the people when they are pleading with you for help and surcease, what shall I say? Well done good and faithful servant?

No, I have said this over and over and will continue saying it until people get it. Until we secure our border we have to accept that the war is a lie. If we can expend blood and treasure to secure the border in Iraq but not our own, well, doesn't that show that this is all a hoax?

Al Quaeda is on record as wanting to use our Southern border as a staging area for the next attack. So our president, after almost five years of doing precisely nothing on the issue of border security, now holds border security hostage to granting amnesty to those who have broken our laws to come here illegally.

Take a minute and think about this. We are currently guarding the borders of several foreign countries at no small expense, yet it would be too pricy to guard our own? Well I have to call bullshit on that one. I can no longer acknowledge this war and that kills me because I love and respect our troops, but there is no logic here and I am a logical person. I will continue to support the troops of course, just not this war.

But we cannot be fighting a war against an implacable enemy who would do anything to hurt us if our Southern border is as open as a screened window in summertime. It's just silly, no worse than that it's insulting. So to follow that logic through, perhaps the government did perpetuate 9-11 to have their war. I really don't know anymore, what I do know is that every second that border hangs open, every single illegal alien who crosses the border lessens my belief in the veracity of this president.

And this is the real kicker to me, if he's letting the border hang open due to the desires of business to have it's cheap labor? Well, I believe that's treasonous behaviour. If they really believe that terrorists could cross the Southern border and still allow unfettered access, what the hell is that?

With all due respect Mr. President I withdraw all my support from you and your party. I only hope we can elect someone like Tom Tancredo on a third party ticket, hell, Jim Gilchrist is looking pretty good these days, that's not fair, I like Jim a lot and I believe average Americans could and would do a lot better job than the elite haircuts we keep sending to Washington.

This is why I've joined the American Bloggers For Inclusive Debates Blogroll. This is a non-partisan group agitating for true third parties and their inclusion in the debate process. I can no longer support the two party system. It has become fundamentally broken, I no longer believe that what we do at the ballot box makes the slightest bit of difference.

We need to break the stranglehold big business has over us politically. Do we really believe these folks have our best interests at heart? I certainly don't and I'd like to see more choice at the ballot box. If you feel the same way and operate a blog please sign up.

H/T A Ladies Ruminations

Technorati Tags: , ,