Freedom Folks

Monday, September 18, 2006

Her husband seemed to have disappeared

Source: Aspen Daily News

Grab a hankie and get ready for another ride on the "OMG, the poor illegals train!"
The woman, who is from Mexico, was already at work as a maid in an upvalley lodge when immigration agents raided her apartment last Monday morning and took away her Salvadoran husband, her Mexican-born son and four others who shared their Carbondale apartment.

Two months pregnant and with a 15-year-old daughter, she was able to get her 14-year-old son out of custody, but not her husband.

Tuesday was the last she heard from him, when she tried to give him money for a phone card at the Garfield County Jail, where he was being held. Officers wouldn’t let her see him, she said.

Then he seemed to disappear. For three days, she had no idea where he was.
Sniff, sniff, words can barely express my sheer, um, delight? Is that the word? Sorry Toots, come illegal and there ought to be some discomfort, capeesh?

Now, onto the self serving tripe portion of today's program, shhhh, let's listen in...(self serving tripe bolded for your reading pleasure)
I feel like we’re criminals,” said the woman, who spoke on condition that her family’s names not be used. “I know we’re not respecting the law, but if they could see how much we work and how much we fight, maybe they would understand a little better.”
It's always exciting when an individual who's broken into your country attempts to do some edumacatin'. Let's examine more closely, shall we?
“I feel like we’re criminals,”
I believe, in medical jargon, this would be referred to as a "no-duh" type of situation. Sorry for the industry lingo there folks. In the proud medical tradition of seeking after horses before zebras may I suggest that feeling might be triggered by a little thing called the...TRUTH!
“I know we’re not respecting the law,"
Does this not amply illustrate our Southern neighbors contempt for the law?
"but if they could see how much we work"
Oh, Oh, now I see, it's all become clear now. When you contravene the law all you need to do to make things right is to "work hard?" K, I'll try that the next time I'm in traffic court.
"and how much we fight"
For what? Not all fights are good fights. Even criminals often struggle to get their ill gotten gains, and I wouldn't define that as a noble fight, would you?
"maybe they would understand a little better.”
Hokey-dokey Smokey. You know what I understand? Criminals never like to be called criminals to their face. Criminals also have an unending litany of excuses, perfect for all occasions, to avoid taking responsibility for their actions. I know, I live in Chicago! :)

What really blows my mind here is how this person appears to be under the impression that she and her family are being persecuted somehow. All this after having arrived in this country illegally, probably having obtained and used fraudulent documents, taking a job from an American, not to mention having played a part in driving down wages.

I understand this individual isn't thinking about all those things, but I am, and when I read this story I can't help but wonder, when she talks about fighting, why can't that fight be for the place she came from? Why must all the fighting be here? On this soil?

There is nothing unfair about deporting an illegal alien, in fact, enforcing the law evenly and without special regard seems to me to be the fairest way of all. But I'm sure someone from Mexico has a much deeper grasp of what living in a law abiding country means than I ever could, right?

H/T immigration watchdog

Technorati Tags: , , , , , ,