Freedom Folks

Friday, November 17, 2006

Made Me Laugh!

It's fun to go through old comments sometimes. Research on the book continues apace, while doing so I stumbled across these comments in support of illegal immigration from around the time of grand marches...
HELLO!!!!!!IS THERE ANYONE IN YOUR BRAIN!!! I DON'T THINK SO, PAY AN """AMERICAN""""" $15.00 PER HOUR TO WASH DISHES!! NO RIGHT I DON'T THINK SO BUT PAY AN ILLEGAL IMIGRANT $7.00 PER HOUR TO DO THE SAME JOB AND MORE AND THEY DO IT!!!!! NOW IF YOU WERE THE EMPLOYEER WHO WOULD YOU HIRE???? THAT'S RIGHT!!!! THE ILLEGAL IMIGRANT BECAUS NO "AMERICAN" WOULD WORK FOR $7.00 OK!!!

JESS | 03.10.06 - 12:51 pm | #
#1 is just what like to call "kicky fun!" Oddly, I was a dishwasher during high school, man, I must be such an aberration, right guys?

#2 is the star of the show...
Restaurants BARELY make any money at all. Profit margins are less than razor thin. Most restaurants DO NOT knowingly hire illegal immigrants, and require that all prospective employees provide proof of work status before hire. Most restaurants DO pay at least minimum wage, but cannot afford to pay more, which is what Johnny white bread from Hinsdale would demand for compensation.

The average cost to the restaurant of any dish is 1/4 to 1/3 of the cost to the diner. And they still barely make any money off of the dish due to fixed costs like rent, utilities, and labor costs.

I guarantee that if you go to a diner and ask for a job frying eggs, and are okay with $6 an hour, you'll be hired. So shut your yap.

Anonymous | 03.10.06 - 3:59 pm | #
Thoughtful, well written and completely full of shit, of course I mean that in only the best possible way. Oh, and anonymous of course!

My response?
Um, Anonymous I've been working in restaurants for about thirty years. What was that bullshit you were trying to peddle again?

Jake Jacobsen | Homepage | 03.10.06 - 7:28 pm | #
His rejoinder...

(...)

Hmmm, he didn't respond, gosh I wonder why?

So I tacked this on out of sheer cussedness...
Update on anonymous's BS. Anon-I managed a single, freestanding hot dog stand near O'hare in the eighties. The owners were clearing six figures a year and paying kicking salaries. Perhaps what you're talking about are POORLY run restaurants.

Jake Jacobsen | Homepage | 03.11.06 - 1:19 am | #
Turns out I do on occasion crack my ass up!

Technorati Tags: , ,