Freedom Folks

Thursday, October 13, 2005

Misogyny in Music

I had an interesting discussion with a co-worker today regarding his theory that contemporary hip-hop and country music share somewhat equal levels of misogyny. My immediate reaction was "No way!" Now that I've had some time to ponder the idea, and search my brain and the internet for lyrical support, my reaction is NO #$&@ WAY!!!

Our conversation was pre-lunch, so I took the opportunity to use my lunchbreak to do a little research. Country is one of the many types of music that I listen to on a regular basis. Hip-hop not so much, especially with the way that classification stretches as time goes by.

I will rest on my familiarity with country music to say that I have been unable to come up with any lyrics that I found mysogynistic. I eagerly invite anyone to let me know if they can point me in a different direction.

During my brief foray into the world of hip-hop, however, I found no shortage of misogyny run amok. I request that the following exhibits be entered into evidence:

Get in My Car (50 Cent)
I got no pickup lines
I stay on the grind
I tell the hoes all the time
Bitch get in my car (Bitch get in)

Fuck All Nite (Jay-Z)
This is exact-a-ly, why I had to pin her
to the bed like a wres-tl-er, had to pretzel her, uhh
Her man kept pagin, stressin her
So I told her what to say just in case he question her
(Situations.. will arise, but you gotta be smart about it)
No matter what you do, don't talk about us
Don't give him no info, he'll be lost without it
Just keep your mouth shut, we could do this again
Bring a friend!

(OK. That's about all I can take of that crap.)

I went back for further discussion after lunch. My co-worker did not cite any specific lyrics that he found misogynistic in country music, but did elaborate that it was the idea of putting/keeping a woman "in her place" to which he had been referring.

I gotta confess that I just don't see it. I will gladly concede that country music plays to the more conservative, old-fashioned crowd (one of the reasons I like it!), but that certainly doesn't translate into a man keeping a woman under his thumb or mistreating her in any way.

Yet I think that is exactly the connection my co-worker is making. And it says to me that extreme feminists have found some sort of success in their efforts to brainwash our culture into believing that, unless a woman is a strident, patchouli-stinking, Birkenstock-wearing man-hater with braidable armpit hair, she is a disgrace to the sisterhood, worthy of scorn and mockery.

All I can tell you is that I've never heard a country song that made me feel downtrodden, lowered my self-esteem (although using that p.c. phrase make me feel a little dirty), or made me feel like a second-class citizen. Those "kudos" have to go to the guys who would...

A) Get busy with me when I was already in a relationship, then tell me to shut my mouth about it so we can do it again, and bring a friend next time

OR

B) Woo me with the sweet sentimentality of commands like "Bitch get in my car. (Bitch get in.)"

Now THAT's what I call misogyny.