Freedom Folks

Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Catholic Church Hunting Gays?

The Pope has recently issued a dealie (I'm not Catholic and I'm far too lazy to look up the proper term) which says it would investigate seminaries for "evidence of homosexuality."

Now I think the Bible's pretty clear as regards Homosexuality. I'm not coming down one way or another, but if you want to say your a Catholic Homosexual I think the Bible's got something to say to you.

I was struck by a line in this editorial. The author, Joan Garry, is a civil rights advocate, freelance writer and former executive director of the Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation. So I think she may have a dog in this fight.

Here's the line--

Instead of gauging public opinion, and spinning language for the announcement, why doesn't the pope analyze the interview process?

Is that the church's job? To make sure that it's announcements are popular? Spinning?

God's not in a popularity contest, I think he (yes I said he) works from a like it or lump it viewpoint. Don't like it, beat feet pal. Christianity actually isn't about niceness or getting along. I seem to recall a verse that talks about faith being a sword that would divide families. Not terribly inclusive or understanding that.