Freedom Folks

Sunday, January 22, 2006

More Propaganda from RNC's Big Kahuna

"The question is not 'Is there an issue?' -- the question is 'How you deal with it?' and I think we have to deal with it in a comprehensive way -- we don't have to deal with it in a way that's anti-immigrant," said party Chairman Ken Mehlman, who said the resolution "reflected where the president was."
This isn't the first time that Mehlman has referred to those who oppose illegal immigration as "anti-immigrant." See my previous post here.

You expect this type of propagandized rhetoric from groups like LULAC and, here in Chicago, the ICIRR. But from the chairman of the RNC? I think he's making a big mistake, and I told him in this fax...

Dear Mr. Mehlman:

I am writing to object to your continued reference to those who, like myself, are working to solve America’s illegal immigration problem as being anti-immigrant.

"The question is not 'Is there an issue?' -- the question is 'How you deal with it?' and I think we have to deal with it in a comprehensive way -- we don't have to deal with it in a way that's anti-immigrant," said party Chairman Ken Mehlman, who said the resolution "reflected where the president was." (The Washington Times, January 21, 2006)

"Throughout our history, there have always been Americans who believed that coming to these shores was a right reserved only for them and their ancestors, but not for others," Mehlman said. Citing Republicans and Democrats from earlier eras who had expressed anti-immigrant prejudice, he added: "Ladies and gentlemen, that was wrong then and those who argue that now are wrong today." (The Washington Post, December 2, 2005)

On a personal level, I find it disingenuous and insulting. More importantly, however, I find it to be an irresponsible abuse of the power you wield as chairman of the RNC. Merriam-Webster defines propaganda as “ideas, facts, or allegations spread deliberately to further one's cause or to damage an opposing cause..” Your blanket description of illegal immigration opponents as “anti-immigrant” is a textbook example of propaganda.

For the record, I oppose all Illegal immigration while highly valuing the contributions, diversity, and respect shown to this great nation by people who abide by our laws in immigrating here. My father was an immigrant who prized the U.S. citizenship he earned within the boundaries of the law.

I am also one of those voters whose only allegiance on election day is to the United States of America. I vote on character and issues, not which side of the aisle a candidate will occupy if elected.

I urge you, Mr. Mehlman, to consider the large number of voters who you are alienating – both independents like myself, and members of your own party – by repeatedly hearing the RNC chairman refer to us as anti-immigrant for simply asking our duly elected representatives to protect our safety by securing our borders, and to protect our livelihoods and way of life by addressing the problem of illegal immigration.

If you'd care to express your thoughts to Mr. Mehlman, you can fax him at the RNC at (202) 863-8820.

I keep reading that the Republican party is stepping on political eggshells with the illegal immigration issue in an effort to get the Latino vote. I'd say that they're stepping on toes as well, and they just may be sorry come election time.