Freedom Folks

Monday, May 08, 2006

Shut Up And Sing

This is from the best of Freedom Folks file. It was originally posted in November 2005, it was a response to this post...

We made a new friend in the blogosphere!

While this is always a treat, this was a special treat because he's a soldier. We sent him a copy of our patriotic CD and he sent us back a very nice email letting us know how much he enjoyed it. He then went on to say how proud he was to know such talented people.

Well, obviously that was a nice thing to hear, but that's not what this post is about.

You know what I felt when I read that? I felt humbled. Humbled that a cat who is currently serving, a cat who brings honor to this country every day was proud of something I had done.

Then I had a thought.

As an artist, I write, I do music (and of course there's the exotic dance, but that's another day), I cook, obviously I love doing creative things. I'm sure most artists do, but, most don't ever think about the freedoms they enjoy that allow them to express themselves.

It wasn't always this way.

During WWII most artists were a part of the war effort. When you think of Glen Miller what comes to mind? I think of him entertaining the troops, I think of him dying trying to entertain the troops. How about John Wayne? Humphrey Bogart, I could go on but you know what I mean.

There was a time when artists appreciated our fighting men and women. There was a time when artists understood they were citizens of this country first. But sadly that's changed.

Now it seems artists consider themselves above the notion of mere patriotism. Better than those who secure thier freedom. Superior to the idea of America.

As an artist I want to make a concerted effort to remember how unimportant what I do is. It's entertainment, not life or death. I want to remember that there are people out there fighting and dying so that I can peck away at this keyboard or make music. I want to remember the brave men and women who give me the precious gift of freedom every single day, sometimes with thier lives.

Here's what I want to say to all the self important artists in our country these days. (with apologies to Laura Ingraham)

Guys, shut up and sing!

Technorati Tags: , , ,