Freedom Folks

Thursday, November 09, 2006

"It's Time For Us To Ignore Our Citizens"

I posted earlier about a local government who, after trying 31! times to site a day labor center in their city and being vehemently shot down by their constituents said, "I think it's time for us to listen to our citizens."

This story is the polar opposite of that one...
PHOENIX — Gov. Janet Napolitano said she won’t change the way she approaches the issue of illegal immigration despite voters effectively overriding two of her vetoes on the issue.
More than 70 percent of Arizonans who cast ballots decided that Arizona law should deny adult education classes and subsidized child care to those not in this country legally. The margin of victory on that is larger than Napolitano’s win over Republican Len Munsil. *snip*

Napolitano, however, said she does not consider any of the votes a rejection of her policies.  “They expressed their opinion,” she said. “And I disagree.”  Napolitano said voters “are going to disagree with me from time to time.”  “At least they know where I stand,” she continued. “I know where they stand. I will carry out their wishes.”
I'm trying to understand the weaselspeak in the last paragraph. It appears she's saying that by ignoring the will of the peple she will be doing the will of the people, is that what I'm hearing? Because that's certainly what it sounds like.

Can an elected representative ignore a ballot initiative such as this? Can she be recalled? Inquiring minds want to know.

H/T immigration watchdog

Technorati Tags: , , ,