Freedom Folks

Monday, October 16, 2006

Protesters Disrupt Hispanic Festival in Riverside

I read that headline and thought I was diving into a story about an anti-illegal immigration protest. HAH!

Source: CBS2 Los Angeles (H/T: Immigration Daily News)

About 40 activists disrupted the Press Enterprise's annual Hispanic festival to protest what they call anti-immigrant coverage in the newspaper's editorial pages.

Organized by a coalition of university students and community-based immigrant rights groups, the protesters marched through the annual Fiesta de la Familia and handed out fliers contesting the newspaper's immigration coverage.
Ooooooooohhhhhh. University students. Now it all makes sense. I only did one semester at college, but I can help you guys out here. It's a little embarassing, I know, being helped out intellectually by a college drop-out but, hey, that's life.

Editorial = OPINION...an article in a newspaper or other periodical presenting the opinion of the publisher, editor, or editors
Coverage = NEWS...the reporting and subsequent publishing or broadcasting of news

You see, we're free to give our opinions in this country, whether you like it or not. The news coverage is, of course, supposed to be unbiased and factual. You should definitely complain when it isn't. Like I did here, for example, and to which I received this completely unsatisfactory response -- probably because the only honest response the reporter could have given would have been to admit that he did, indeed, purposefully use an inaccurate term to describe me and those who agree with me.

Now that we've clarified the difference between editorial (opinion) and coverage (news) when it comes to the media, let me add that you have every right to protest. Another great freedom of life in the U. S. of A.

May I suggest, however, coming up with a well-thought-out message that makes logical sense first? One that can't be completely deflated with a quick visit to dictionary.com? It makes for an oh-so-much-more-credible protest.

Technorati Tags
Illegal Immigration * Illegal Aliens * Editorial * Riverside * University Students